Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Remember Tomorrrow



I found this pretty interesting site and I wanted to pass it on. It's an mp3 archive of the 1940s radio show, "Quiet, Please", which aired from 1947-1949. It was sort of a scifi / horror themed show (more *eerie* than really *too* scary though, more psychological exploration than simple gore), that was kind of the radio equivalent of something like the Twilight Zone or the Outer Limits. Here is the link:

http://www.quietplease.org

This summer I broke down and spent $50 on this thing you plug into your car's cigarette lighter and then into your ipod. It has a radio transmitter on it, so it charges your ipod and the transmitter continuously while you use it, allowing you to hear your ipod songs over a regular FM frequency you select. Armed with this device, I've filled my ipod with a lot of these episodes, so I can listen to them while driving, sort of like books on tape. But instead, radio scifi from 60 years ago.

Radio Shows have been a lost art for decades, and I've having fun re-experiencing them. Unlike film, you are free to imagine your own ideas and pictures of what's going on. The voices and dialogue and writing and plots, on programs like these, are in my opinion often quite deeper and more interesting than the superficial sex/ violence/ advertising that fills most TV programs today.

No comments:

Post a Comment